Saturday 3 November 2007

Itch

My first attempt at Final Cut Pro didn't go so badly, particularly once I stopped using iMovie keyboard shortcuts! I'm not sure I explored the full range of possibilities but I like the fact that even if you split a clip into tiny, minute sections, reverse them, speed them up, slow them down, whatever there is still a copy of the clip in it's original form. So much easier than having to undo things and remembering to make duplicates all the time.

After I'd got the hang of capturing the film, naming it and marking in and out points it seemed very straightforward and the film was completed very quickly. I never have to spend long going through the clips after I've filmed them as I always know at the time I'm filming which sections I'll use and which I won't.

For this film I decided to work with the found audio rather than editing to a soundtrack. Again, because of my previously less advanced equipment I've always worked with a soundtrack in mind. It was interesting working with the found audio and finding a natural rhythm in the movement and it's something to consider for future work but I think I'll try to combine both a soundtrack and found audio to add texture.

No comments: